He was a stray but the firefighters of Chimaltenango, a center of 97,000 inhabitants in Guatemala, after finding him, decided to host him in the barracks, making him one of their own. And it is the firefighters themselves who mourn him, now, after Solovino died suddenly, almost certainly from poisoning. To tell the sad agony of the dog, a splendid German shepherd, are the volunteers. Their dramatic words have been entrusted to Facebook. “Rest in peace, friend Solovino, faithful friend of the 21st company and his men. You have been a victim of the wickedness of human beings. If you see dogs on the street, adopt them and don’t poison them”.
One of the firefighters also recalled that Solovino arrived at the barracks just a month ago. “He was a true and affectionate friend, we had put him on a nice mattress, we had him visited by the vet and then dewormed”. Every time the sirens sounded, he barked. “He was also on watch when there was no one here – the volunteers point out – in our station, lately, there had also been some thefts”. Until last Sunday. “We had just had lunch in the barracks like so many other times – the firefighters say – then we served lunch to our beloved Solovino.
A few minutes later, one of the volunteers noticed that the dog was lying at the entrance to the barracks”. are worried. “We tried to rescue him, but he was already dead”, the words of one of the rescuers. The dog had no visible wounds or fractures. “There are all the elements to think that it was a poisoning”, they added .
The hypothesis, among other things, is supported by a fact well detailed and denounced on local blogs and social networks by many inhabitants of the area: the death of several stray dogs in nearby Quetzaltenango. A post-complaint that immediately went viral, enriched by detailed stories and testimonies. A large debate has thus been unleashed on the internet, focused on the abuse of animals and on possible preventive actions.